We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
When growing onions, every gardener dreams of getting a big harvest. Among the many varieties of this crop, the Exhibichen onion stands out, capable of producing a good harvest when using a minimum area. This is achieved due to the fact that the bulbs are large and weigh up to 800 grams. Onions are in demand in large families not only for their size, but also for their pleasant sweetish taste.
A little about the variety
Exibichen stands out among the best large-fruited varieties. Bulbs, depending on the care, can weigh from 150 to 800 grams, therefore, the yield is from one square meter to 4.5 kg.
It is a Dutch variety obtained from seeds. In the southern regions, it is sown in open ground. In the middle lane and in the north, it is recommended to first receive seedlings, and in the spring to plant in a permanent place of growth.
Description of the Exibishen onion variety and its characteristics are as follows:
- The large heads of the bulbs are yellow, with thin scales, have a rounded elongated shape, and the neck is thickened.
- The onion inside is white, juicy and delicate in consistency, with a sweetish taste without bitterness. Best consumed fresh, adding to salads. Does not irritate eyes and nose when cutting oil.
- The growing season is about 130 days. Onions remain fresh for about 3-4 months, then the greens begin to grow.
The seeds are sown for seedlings due to the long development period. Onions grow well in any soil. When grown in seedlings, the bulbs are very large: they weigh from 500-800 grams. When sown with seeds, they grow much smaller - up to 150-300 grams.
Planting with seeds and seedlings
There are two ways to grow onions - seedlings and from seeds. The first method is most popular, because it is a 100% guarantee of getting a turnip-onion. Seedlings take root and develop well. Seeds, however, do not all germinate well, and there is no exact guarantee that an onion can be obtained from each grain.
Choosing the right site for onions
For planting onions, a well-lit area is required.
According to the advice of gardeners, attention should be paid to:
- looseness of the soil and its acidity, which should not be high, is better than neutral and moisture resistant;
- the place should be warm, the soil can be either sandy or sandy loam.
Preparing the soil before planting
Before planting plants, you need to prepare the soil. It is good if the soil consists of sod land, humus and mullein, preferably rotted. All additives must be mixed with a rake.
Thanks to this preparation, a good harvest can be grown.
Preparing the garden bed
In order for the planting to be correct, the bed should be prepared in the fall. It is recommended to dig it up, remove weed roots, debris.
With the onset of spring, the soil in the field of the bed must be loosened with a hoe and a rake, then draw grooves, observing a distance of 30 cm.It is recommended to install arcs on the bed with onions to cover it with a film or agrospan in case of a cold snap and attack by birds.
Preparing seedlings for planting in the ground
To grow Exhibishen onions through seedlings, it is recommended to treat the seeds with a solution of potassium permanganate. The temperature of the liquid should be about 40 ° C, then the seeds must be slightly dried so that they do not stick to the hands and can be poured.
You can soak for awakening in warm filtered water with aloe juice, then wrap them in damp gauze and keep it that way for about 3-4 days. Planting seeds for seedlings is usually recommended in late February and early March.
Seed preparation before planting
Growing onions exible from seeds is considered an easier way, however, it does not guarantee the germination of all seeds.
Before sowing seeds, it is necessary to carry out preparatory work:
- Soak for 3 hours in warm water, the temperature of which should be 25 ° C. The seeds are kept in a damp tissue for about 3-4 days to swell.
- Disinfect with a manganese solution. The seeds are immersed in the pink composition, heated to a temperature of 40 ° C, overnight: for about 8 hours.
- In order for the seeds to be planted at the same distance, they must be glued to toilet paper, which is cut in the form of ribbons, glued with a specially prepared starch paste. A drop of glue drips onto the paper at a distance of 5–7 cm, and a seed is placed in it. It is important to wait for the glue to dry and the achene to stick.
- Such tapes are laid in grooves and covered with a layer of light earth, the soil can be slightly mulched to keep moisture better.
- In order to avoid the occurrence of fungal diseases, the soil must be treated with Fitosporin.
Landing in the ground
Planting the obtained seed material in open ground is carried out in early May. For this, grooves are drawn at a distance of 30 cm. A segment of 20–25 cm is observed between the bulbs. The holes are made with the help of the fingers. Planting of Exible bow heads is carried out to a depth of 3 cm.
What conditions are required?
The cultivation and further care of Exhibichen onions will require the maintenance of certain rules. First you need to prepare a container, fill it with moist soil prepared in advance, draw shallow grooves at a distance of 2 cm from each other.
Put the seeds on top, sprinkle with soil about 1.5 cm.Then cover with glass or film, put in a warm place.
After the seedlings are 2 months old, it is necessary to start hardening it, for this the containers are taken out to the balcony or loggia. Gradually, the hardening time is increased: starting from 5 minutes, it is brought to 30, depending on the weather outside and the temperature.
An important condition for growing onions is maintaining the correct temperature at least 20-25 ° С. In the future, it is advisable to monitor the moisture content of the earth, but it is better not to water it, since due to the coating it will not be able to evaporate. It is recommended to shake the formed condensation on the film on the ground. Onions emerge in about 10-14 days.
To achieve a good harvest, with the emergence of seedlings, the boxes with seedlings should be transferred to a well-lit place. It is desirable that the temperature regime is observed. During the day, it should be at least 17 ° C, and at night it is lowered to 15 ° C.
If the days are short, the seedlings must be supplemented with light, bringing the daylight hours to 12 hours, so that it turns out to be strong.
In addition, it is necessary to monitor the moisture content of the soil, the ventilation of the room, to do this, regularly open the vents, but avoid drafts.
The picking is not carried out, therefore, it is possible to sow Exhibishen onion seeds in separate cups of 2 seeds in a period of one season. Only one should grow, so a strong plant is chosen, and the other is removed.
After planting seedlings or as the seeds sprout, you need to create the right conditions for care.
This will not be difficult:
- To maintain moisture, the soil must be mulched. For this, the beds are covered with straw, peat or moss.
- Do not let the soil dry out. Carry out regular watering with settled water. At the end of July, watering is stopped so that the bulbs are stronger and not loose. Since in this case the crop is poorly stored.
- After watering, it is recommended to loosen between the rows.
- Be sure to feed the Exhibichen onions with fertilizers in open ground.
- To prevent onion feathers from falling off, they are fixed to a peg or cut to 10 cm.
- To prevent the onion fly from damaging the onion, it is recommended to plant a bed of carrots nearby.
You can count on a good harvest only by growing Exhibitive onions with the necessary care. Do not forget about monthly feeding, using potash, nitrogen, and phosphorus fertilizers during watering.
It is best to fertilize with complex mineral fertilizers. They are introduced every other day, with the expectation that 1 gram is diluted with 2 liters of water.
It is also important to monitor the cleanliness of the beds from the presence of weeds: they must be removed while loosening the soil, which is best done after each watering.
It is important to remember: in July there is no longer a need to feed the Exibition onion with anything. The bulbs go into hibernation, and excessive feeding can only damage the crop.
Disease and pest control
Unfortunately, Exhibishen onions are also susceptible to diseases, as well as to attack by pests. If diseased plants are found, it is advisable to immediately begin therapy.
Onions can be affected by the following diseases:
- Rot. It is very difficult to recognize, only you can see that the tops turned yellow and lay on the ground. It extends right to the bottom. At the root, the onion acquires a white bloom. As a result, it stops growing and it is impossible to cure it.
If there is a disease, the bulbs should be pulled out of the ground. Cut off the affected area and eat, they cannot be stored.
- Smut. Determined by detecting gray stripes on onion leaves. The disease is fungal in nature, the disease cannot be treated.
If diseased plants are found, it is necessary to remove the affected onion feathers.
- Gray rot. It affects the neck of the onion and is of fungal origin. Since the neck rots, the feathers do not receive food, they begin to acquire a yellow color.
These bulbs must be pulled out, the disease cannot be cured.
- Stem nematode. The cause is small worms living in the ground. Affected onion stalks acquire a light shade, then curl. The bulb itself begins to rot. There are special chemicals to combat this disease, but they are toxic, it is dangerous to treat plants with them when they are almost ripe and you will soon need to harvest. It is better to remove diseased bulbs.
The most dangerous pest is the onion fly.
In addition to carrots, flowers with strong odors can be planted nearby, which will scare off pests and get rid of diseases.
Wood ash well protects onions from pests, with which it is recommended to sprinkle the beds with onions.
It is necessary to accurately determine the harvest time of the Exhibichen onion. A sign of ripening is lodged tops, which indicates that the roots have also begun to dry out and plant nutrition is getting worse. This means that the time has come when the time has come for digging the Exhibishen onions from the beds. If this is not done on time, new roots will begin to grow, which will reduce the shelf life of the crop.
For harvesting onions, it is recommended to choose a dry, sunny day, preferably with a slight breeze. The bulbs should be lifted out of the ground with a shovel or gently pulled out. Spread out in rows on dry ground or cardboard, dry a little. Then it is recommended to dry it on a veranda, in a barn or other well-ventilated area.
As soon as the neck of the onion dries up, it means that it is ready for winter storage. This will take about 14 days. Then it is necessary to sort the crop, reviewing each bulb, select healthy ones for storage. Additionally sort by fruit size. If there is even slight damage, the heads are deposited and used first.
Store onions in a dry place. It can be braided or knitted. When storing in boxes, it is recommended to sprinkle onion skins on the heads, which can be collected after drying and bulkheading the product.
Helpful tips and feedback
Many are interested in how to purchase Exibishen onion sets. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get it, since it has a very short shelf life - only 4 months.
However, it is possible to grow a turnip for seeds if it is possible to preserve the bulb at least until February. It is best to place it in the refrigerator in the vegetable section. Large onions spoil very quickly, so you need to set aside an onion weighing no more than 300 grams. And then:
- When feathers appear, the bulb is planted in a small container not exceeding 2 liters. Instead of soil, a little sod land, river sand and sawdust, ash are taken.
- The bulb is 2/3 immersed in the ground. They monitor soil moisture, lighting and temperature.
- If the bulb is divided into three parts, then each is planted separately, the main thing is that they have roots. Planted in open ground in early May. It is advisable to be away from other onion varieties so that they do not become over-pollinated.
Many are also worried about the question of when it is better to harvest Exhibishen onions, for example, in Siberia - this is mid-May, in the southern regions it may be April.
The variety is gaining more and more popularity and value. Basically, all the reviews about the Exibition onion are only positive. The variety is especially appreciated by salad lovers. The product is large, juicy and sweet.