We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Breeding pigeons is considered more fun than full-fledged poultry farming. However, this does not save bird lovers from problems. Young pigeons hardly switch to adult nutrition. To make this process quick and easy, the birds need feeders. The easiest way out is to purchase them at the pet store, but there they are not specifically targeted at this type of bird. The best way to find the right feeder for your pigeons is to make one yourself.
Requirements and parameters of an ideal feeder
Correct configuration of the feeder is half the battle on the path to healthy birds and regular offspring. Indeed, the convenience of receiving feed, sanitary cleanliness and the cleaning mode of the dovecote depend on its width, mounting method and height. Of course, you can do with some simple containers just to fill up the grain. But this option will not work for chicks, because it will result in stress and even exhaustion. It is appropriate only when the owner needs to be absent for a couple of days, and there is no one to entrust the care of the birds.
There are two types of feeders: automatic and box feeders. The first ones are convenient in that you do not need to constantly add food to them, it is served as needed. Boxes are easier to make and more familiar to birds that feed from the ground.
Experienced pigeon breeders advise making two separate feeders for adults and young animals. The device should be comfortable in height for birds and have barriers. After all, pigeons do not disdain to stamp on the stern. In addition, the grain must not fall out of the structure. And it itself should be easy to disassemble and clean at any time.
What equipment and materials will be needed
Before proceeding with the manufacture, it is worth deciding what the feeding device will be made of. There is where to turn around: metal, plastic, cardboard, wood. Metal feeders are considered the most durable, but making them at home is not so easy. Plastic is affordable, easy to use and clean, does not deform from temperature and lasts a long time. The downside is its lightness. In addition, some birds tear off pieces of plastic bottles (from which they usually make feeders).
Cardboard is an environmentally friendly material and is easy to find and process. But it has many drawbacks. The structures are short-lived, they are blown away by the wind, they get wet from rain and snow. The service life of such a thing is no more than a month. You will have to regularly replace it with a new one.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
Wood is the clear leader on the list as it is sustainable, durable and reliable. The downside is that wooden feeders are more difficult to clean and disinfect.
Among other things, you will need:
- Boards and plywood.
- Stationery knife.
- Nails and hammer.
- Joiner's tools.
How to make a do-it-yourself pigeon feeder
Manufacturing will take a certain amount of time, depending on the type and material selected.
You don't need to be an experienced carpenter to build this structure, but you must have some woodworking skills.
- Assemble the plywood box with nails or glue so that it is high enough.
- Next, build a pallet from thin plywood and bars. Insert it into the lower part, having previously cut one of the walls.
- Attach the roof to size and put rigid ribs made of thin slats or wire between it and the box.
- Install a turntable on the roof or glue it over with slippery material so that the pigeons do not sit on top.
An option that even a child can handle.
- In an old, unnecessary medium-sized box, cut through the two side walls completely.
- From another box, build a roof (you can of any shape) and glue it to the base.
- Attach a loop of wire for hanging so that the structure does not deform from dampness.
- For extra protection, the trough can be taped on the outside with tape.
Building such a thing is also quite easy, and materials can be found in almost every shed.
- You will need a 2 or 3 liter bottle. Windows are cut out in it along the entire length.
- The edges of the windows are pasted over with electrical tape or tape in several layers so that the birds do not get hurt.
- The side of the bottle is nailed to the board so that the pigeons do not move it.
Bunker automatic feeder
This simple tool will save the owner the hassle of adding feed to the birds every day.
- It takes two bottles. One is cut off the top. And in the other, small holes are cut from one edge for pigeons and one large one so that the first bottle can enter there.
- The feeder is filled with grain and turned over. The parts must fit snugly into each other without additional fixation with adhesive tape.
- As it pecks, the feed will automatically replenish until it is completely finished.
- The larger the feed storage, the less often you need to replenish it.
- A drinker for poultry is easy to make of a similar type.
- It is recommended to calculate the size of the feeder based on the number of individuals in the dovecote.