We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Tomato Striped chocolate was first developed by American breeders. Russian gardeners fell in love with tomatoes for their unusual appearance, large mass of fruits, good yield and excellent taste.
The variety belongs to the category of determinant. Its height reaches 1.5 meters. In a greenhouse, tomatoes grow up to 2 meters or more. The stem is strong, resistant, the volume of foliage is moderate. The leaf plate is medium in size with pronounced wrinkles. The root system is powerful, branched. Plants are grown in 1-2 stems.
Given the description of the variety, it is classified as mid-season. The technical maturity of the fruits occurs 95-105 days after the appearance of the first shoots. The yield is good and friendly. Fruiting lasts until September.
The fruits are categorized as maxi. The diameter of tomatoes reaches 15 centimeters, and the weight of individual fruits is more than 1 kilogram. On average, the weight of tomatoes is in the range of 500-600 grams. The shape of the fruit is round, flattened. The peculiarity of the variety is chocolate strips. In a state of technical maturity, the color of tomatoes is burgundy or chocolate.
Stripes can vary in color from green to bright red. The skin is dense, shiny. Tomatoes are distinguished by their incredible taste and aroma.
The main use of the variety is fresh consumption. It is also suitable for preparing salads, canning, growing for sale.
Advantages and disadvantages
Growing striped chocolate tomatoes is easy. This feature is due to the unpretentiousness of the species.
The advantages of the variety include:
- high productivity;
- the ability to collect fruits throughout the season;
- disease and pest resistance;
- large fruit sizes;
- original taste and aroma of tomatoes;
- extraordinary colors.
Of the shortcomings, gardeners note only one serious one. During periods of extreme heat or at elevated temperatures in the greenhouse, cracks form on the surface of the tomatoes.
Features of agricultural technology
Like most nightshade crops, Chocolate stripes is a seedling method. Sowing material is prepared by the last decade of February - early March.
- Seeds are tested for germination. To do this, they are soaked in warm water for 10-15 minutes. Those seeds that float to the surface are not subject to subsequent planting.
- A special soil is prepared for seedlings. It consists of garden soil, sand and peat, taken in equal parts.
- Seeds are distributed in seedling containers with a density of 2-3 seeds per 1 centimeter. Sprinkle with wet peat on top. The containers are covered with foil or glass. Greenhouses are placed in a warm place until the first shoots appear.
- After the sprouts appear, the film is removed, and the container is placed in a lighted place.
- Top dressing is carried out 15 days after germination with nitrogenous fertilizers. They contribute to a set of green mass.
- Seedlings are sensitive to over-watering. It is produced as needed.
- Given the characteristics of the variety, tomatoes require picking. It is produced in the phase of 2-3 true leaves.
Seedlings of tomatoes Striped chocolate is transferred to a permanent place at the age of at least 55-60 days from the moment the first shoots appear. To obtain a high yield, a number of rules are followed.
- Hardening. A week before planting in the ground, the seedlings are hardened with a decrease in day and night temperatures.
- Landing in the ground. The transfer of seedlings is carried out when the soil has warmed up to 15-16 degrees and the night frosts have passed.
- Film protection. When transferred to open ridges in the first days, the seedlings are covered with a film.
- Choosing a place. The place is chosen well lit, but without direct sunlight.
- Watering. Watering is carried out as needed in the evening. The next day after watering, the soil is loosened.
- Mulching. The soil under the plants is sprinkled with mulch. It serves as a barrier to the penetration of pests on the seedlings.
- Stealing. Striped chocolate tomatoes belong to the category of tall ones. They require pinning. The first removal of shoots is carried out 2 weeks after planting in the ground.
- Garter. Plants are tall. Therefore, they need a garter. Installation of trellises is also allowed.
- Top dressing. Fertilization is carried out several times per season. Use complex or nitrogenous fertilizers.
Taking into account the peculiarities of tomatoes, in open ground conditions, the harvest begins to ripen in mid-July. In closed greenhouses, fruiting occurs earlier. It lasts until the first days of September.
Variety resistance to diseases and pests
The characteristic of the Striped Chocolate tomato speaks of it as a hybrid resistant to pests and the most common diseases.
According to gardeners' reviews, tomatoes are not susceptible to:
- powdery mildew;
- late blight;
Despite the high resistance to diseases, experts recommend 1-2 times per season to carry out preventive treatment of plants with complex antiparasitic drugs.
Compliance with the rules of agricultural technology allows you to achieve a high yield from the striped chocolate tomato variety.