We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The Landskaya breed of geese was bred specifically to obtain large and fatty liver. The birds were bred in France on the basis of local Toulouse geese. Birds are medium-heavy breeds. Today they are actively grown both in Russia and in European countries. To achieve high productivity parameters, it is important to strictly follow the rules for caring for birds. At the same time, it is important to provide them with a balanced diet and prevention of pathologies.
History of appearance
Land geese were obtained by crossing different species. The breeders used Toulouse geese as a basis. Scientists carried out the first experiments in France. The birds came to Russia in 1975.
Description and characteristics of the Landa breed
These French geese are distinguished by their outstanding appearance. This allows them to be distinguished from other bird species. The main features include the following:
- Gray feathers. Most often, birds of this breed are distinguished by light gray feathers. However, sometimes there are also darker birds. There is usually white fluff on the belly.
- Large and voluminous body and back.
- Short and almost invisible tail.
- Deep chest. It is characterized by developed muscles.
- White belly shade. There are also several sagging folds of fat in this area.
- A large number of feathers on the wings. The pattern in this area resembles scales.
- Broad head. It is slightly flattened on top and covered with dense plumage.
- Deep-set eyes. Some individuals have a bump over their eyes.
- Orange tint of the beak. Moreover, it can have a different shape.
- Dark gray neck. In some individuals, it is gray-brown.
These birds are large in size. The mass of adult males is 7-8 kilograms, females - 6-7. Due to this weight, it is possible to get a large liver. Its weight can reach 800 grams. Birds acquire large sizes as early as 10 months. At this age, their weight is 5 kilograms.
Some scientists and farmers are engaged in crossing Lands geese with Hungarian. As a result, it is possible to get very large individuals, the weight of which is 10 kilograms.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
The egg production parameters in birds are up to 40 eggs per year. The mass of 1 egg is 150 grams. This is considered an excellent parameter.
At the same time, goslings are characterized by a low level of survival. Only half of the chicks live up to 2 months. Relatively few goslings hatch from the eggs. This figure does not exceed 60%.
Advantages and disadvantages
high parameters of egg production;
the ability to grow large liver with good taste - its weight reaches 720-800 grams;
the possibility of plucking geese 3 times a year - they bring 350-400 grams of feathers;
excellent parental instincts;
the bold disposition of the gander - they look after the herd perfectly.
unexpressed incubation instinct in females;
difficulties in maintaining fertility in males.
Subtleties of maintenance and care
In the summertime, birds are recommended to be placed in free enclosures. They are easy to build from ordinary slats and roofing material. When geese reach 7 weeks of age, they are allowed to be released for grazing. In this case, movement should be limited only by the territory of the site. Perennial grasses are ideal for walking geese. This allows the birds to get maximum vitamins and minerals. If it is impossible to graze geese, they should be given green types of food. In winter, geese require brick or wood structures. The presence of bedding in the room is also important. It should be warm, dry and firm.
This helps to minimize the risk of developing pathologies. Land geese tolerate frost well. Therefore, poultry houses do not require insulation. In this case, it is important to monitor the absence of drafts.
So that the birds do not overcool and have a place in which they can warm up, it is important to maintain the temperature in the poultry house at +10 degrees. Lands geese need regular water treatments. If they do not have access to a natural reservoir, an artificial pool is required. Any deep container is suitable for this.
The diet is selected taking into account the goals of growing birds. To get a large liver, geese should be fed by the hour. In this case, the diet is divided into the following stages:
- Growing young animals. In this case, at the age of 1-4 weeks, chicks need to be given an unlimited amount of compound feed and 200 grams of greens. At 5-8 weeks, birds need 170 grams of compound feed and 500 grams of greens. From week 9, the volume of greens is 300 grams.
- Preparation period. At 11-13 weeks, geese should limit their space. At the same time, it is recommended to place them in a closed poultry house. Birds need 50% corn, 30% protein, 20% turf. It is also worth giving twice the dosage of vitamins A and C.
- Forced fattening. From week 14, the basis of the bird's diet should be corn. It should be poured with hot water for half an hour. It is also recommended to add 1% salt, 1% oil and vitamins there. In the first 3 days, it is recommended to give geese 300-400 grams of porridge, on days 4-7 - 450-580 grams, from day 8 - 670-900 grams.
For successful breeding of birds, the female and the male should be bought from different farms. It is important to ensure that the goose is not obese. These birds produce many unfertilized eggs.
When forming a herd, it is important to take into account that 1 goose is able to fertilize 3-5 females. During the laying and incubation phase, geese require many free boxes. This will help avoid conflicts.
What are they sick with?
Geese are characterized by strong immunity. However, improper nutrition leads to the weakening of the birds. With a lack of vitamins in birds, inflammation of the cloaca often develops. When using dry food and water shortage, there is a risk of esophageal obstruction Violation of hygiene rules provokes the development of salmonellosis.
Land geese are highly productive and are used to obtain large liver. For birds to be successful, they need careful grooming.