We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Many gardeners are interested in how to grow grapes from seed at home. For this, first of all, it is necessary to study the technology of this method for producing a fruiting plant and tune in for a sufficiently long growing period. This method is rarely used by gardeners and winegrowers, but it is completely uncomplicated and is available even for beginners.
The expediency of the method
When asked whether it is possible to grow grapes from seed on their own, experienced growers and breeders respond positively. The grape seed located inside the berry is a carrier of comprehensive information about the plant, as well as its properties and main species characteristics. However, grapes grown from seeds do not always preserve the varietal characteristics of the parent plant.
Bone cultivation refers to non-traditional methods of propagation of grapes. It is used for the following reasons:
- satisfying the curiosity of the gardener and checking his own strength in viticulture;
- breeding of new hybrid forms and grape varieties, while the most promising ones with berries with the best taste, winter hardiness and resistance to typical diseases are selected from the seedlings;
- self-growing rootstock.
Despite the fact that growing grape seedlings from seed is not too difficult, far from all varieties are suitable for this. It is generally accepted that it is best to use the seed material of hybrids.
Numerous studies confirm that with this method of propagation at home, it is extremely rare to obtain grapes with improved qualities. You should also take into account the fact that such plants will give the first crop no earlier than two to three years after planting the seed material.
Seed Grapes: Features of Growing
Seed selection and preparation
It is very important to carefully approach the issue of preparing seeds for planting. It is recommended to give preference to grapes of new varieties, which are guaranteed to be resistant to a variety of diseases and adverse growing conditions. Seeds should be extracted from the most ripe and varietal-quality berries that are not deformed and without signs of rot damage.
The grape seeds should be selected the largest, best beige-brown color. They need to be thoroughly, but gently washed several times in running water. The material does not need to be dried, but it is necessary to immediately place it on moistened nylon bags and then wrap it in a regular plastic film. The grape seeds prepared in this way must be placed on the lower, fruit and vegetable shelf in the refrigerator.
It is very important to regularly inspect and periodically flush planting material. If all the requirements are met, after about a couple of months cracks appear on the bones, which indicate the readiness of the seed material for planting in the ground.
For planting sprouted grape seed, individual containers filled with fertile soil should be used. The optimal soil composition is a mixture of one part of sifted sand and two parts of humus.
It is advisable to disinfect the soil before sowing the seeds. It is recommended to calcine the soil in the oven at high temperature or spill it with boiling water with the addition of pharmaceutical potassium permanganate.
After filling the planting containers with the prepared mixture, the soil should be moistened and grape seeds should be planted in advance with a depth of 1-1.5 cm. For the shoots to appear as soon as possible, it is recommended to install pots with crops on the windowsill to provide the plants with sufficient heat and good illumination.
If during cultivation the optimum temperature regime is maintained and the crops receive a sufficient amount of light, grape shoots appear in about a week or ten days. Further seedling care consists of the following activities:
- it is necessary to carry out regular watering of plants with water at room temperature, avoiding overmoistening and strong drying of the soil;
- it is necessary to carry out loosening of the soil, which must be very neat and superficial so as not to damage the sprouts;
- if necessary, watering is supplemented by top dressing with organic and mineral fertilizers;
- It is very important to protect plants from drafts, and in too sunny weather to provide grape shade.
It is necessary to conduct regular inspections of seedlings, so as not to miss the moment of possible damage to young plants by spider mites or diseases. In the spring, grapes are transplanted into larger containers.
In the next season, grape seedlings will be ready for transplanting into the open ground, it is best to carry out this event in late spring. Equally important is the hardening of plants before planting in open ground in a permanent place. This procedure will allow them to quickly adapt to new growing conditions and take root well.
Tips & Tricks
When planting plants in open ground, you should adhere to the recommendations of experienced growers:
- The landing site should be well-lit and not too blown, preferably with protection from the north.
- It is required to give preference to areas with light, sufficiently moist and breathable soil.
- Traditionally, grapes are grown on trellises, which are the most durable two-meter supports with a stretched wire. The interval between planted plants should be within one and a half or two meters.
- It is imperative to provide plants with high-quality drainage in the form of broken bricks or medium-sized stones, on top of which it is necessary to pour high-quality, fertile soil.
Grape growing technology
Further care for planted grapes is standard and consists of systematic irrigation, fertilizing, loosening the soil to improve aeration, as well as mulching round wheels. The implementation of competent care guarantees the onset of the fruiting phase approximately three to four years after the planting of grape seed.